lunes, 6 de julio de 2015

Vocabulary

Unit 1: Making Friends

Neighborhood: This neighborhood has several good restaurants
Crowded: this morning the train was so crowded that I couldn't find a vacant seat and had to stand the whole way
Dislikes: Jacqui tries to hide her dislike of her mother-in-law for the sake of family harmony
Actually: My last name looks German, but actually, it's Dutch
Themselves: They served themselves from the buffet
Pineapple: Can you buy me a pineapple when you go shopping?
Wreck: There are a lot of wrecks in the waters around this coast.
Noisy: Mike didn't like going to the city because it was always so noisy
Shipwreck: More than 1,000 people died in the shipwreck of the Titanic
Talkative: The teacher separated the talkative pupil from his friends

Unit 2: interest

Pretty: Your daughter is so pretty in that dress
Polite: If you want to keep your job, you should always be polite to your boss
Nobody: Why would she want to date me? She's a supermodel, I'm a nobody
Leisure: Tom didn't like hurrying and spent years working on his book with leisure
Climbing: The rear wall of the house is covered in climbing plants
Found: We found a key on the ground
Whistle: The whistle signalled the end of the game
Lead Singer: He's always wanted to be the lead singer in a rock band.
Stronger: sleight of hand in the stone is stronger than scissor
Everybody: Everybody I know prefers chocolate to vanilla

Unit 3: Health

Clause: There's an escape clause which allows us to terminate the contract if necessary.
Stomachache: He had a dreadful stomachache after eating too much chocolate.
Sneeze:  Eugene's sneeze was so loud
Appointment: I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow, and a dentist appointment the day after.
Leaflet: The campaigners leafleted every house in the area
Headache: After being hunched in front of a computer all day Fiona got a tension headache
Kid: Stacy likes to visit with friends while the kids are at school
Cough: The baby girl has a cough, so her parents are taking her to the doctor
Relax: We're going to relax on the beach
Flu: I caught the flu


Unit 4: holidays and celebrations

Forward: The car moved slowly forward
Exchange: Many families exchange gifts on Christmas.
Enjoyment: Playing golf is Larry's only enjoyment
Wedding: The wedding pictures were beautiful
Hope: We hope that you will recover quickly
Lawyer: Ben went to law school to become a lawyer
Costume: Marla put on her monster costume and tried to scare her big brother.
Fireworks: We watched the fireworks over the bay from our hotel window
Trick-or-treating: Halloween custom: going door to door
Skeletons: Doctors have to know all the different bones in the human skeleton


Unit 5: Growing up

Was: Lucy was sad yesterday
Born: Mario was born in Chile
A few: That boy has come over a few times and always behaved himself
Childhood :I have few memories of my childhood.
Grow up: I grew up in a village in Southern Chile
Most: This plant has the most strawberries
A lot: There are a lot of people in there
Moved: When the singer dedicated her song to her father, the audience was visibly moved
Some: Some friends think that my jokes are funny
Mean: I don't mean her, I mean her husband


Unit 6: Around Town

Across: The post office is across the street from the police station
Just a: He has seemed to move just a bit to the left.
Any: Do you have any bread?
Excuse: Please excuse me. I didn't mean to step on your foot
Behind: Your car is behind of my car
Inside: He stayed inside the room for three hours
Outside: The kids are playing outside
street: This street has two lanes
Over here: Please, lift your bag over her
Near: Near her feet, she found a coin

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario